Depending on the type of permit you have obtained, you are obliged to register your temporary or permanent residence.
A place of temporary residence
An address in the Republic of Slovenia at which you reside temporarily for work, education or other reasons.
1. If you hold a valid temporary residence permit in the Republic of Slovenia, you must register your temporary residence with the administrative unit covering the territory of your temporary residence, within 8 days of the date you move in.
The same goes if you hold a residence registration certificate, a long-stay visa or you have filed an application for the renewal or re-issuing of a temporary residence permit or a further residence permit, for issuing or renewal of a certificate of registration of residence, based on which you are entitled to reside in the Republic of Slovenia according to the provisions of the law governing the entry, exit and residence of foreign nationals in Slovenia.
A place of temporary residence is registered for a period of up to two years, or for the period of validity of the temporary residence permit, certificate of registration of residence or long-stay visa if this is less than two years.
2. You must re-register a place of temporary residence prior to termination of registration, if you continue to reside temporarily at the registered address. You can register only one place of temporary residence in the Republic of Slovenia.
3. If you obtain a temporary residence permit, a certificate of registration of residence or a long-stay visa after settling at the address, register the place of temporary residence within 8 days of the day the permit, certificate or visa is delivered.
4. If you temporarily reside outside your registered place of temporary residence, but not at a landlord’s property or with a host (e.g. hotel, motel, hostel), and will reside at this address for more than 90 days, you must register your new place of temporary residence with the administrative unit within 8 days of the day of temporary settlement.
5. When you are accommodated in facilities such as homes for single persons, boarding and student residences, homes for the elderly, social welfare institutions, penal institutions, wards of institutions or re-education homes and other facilities, the obligation to register and de-register your residence shall be fulfilled, within 8 days of settling, by the landlord, if you have resided at their property for more than 7 days.
A place of permanent residence
An address in the Republic of Slovenia which is the centre of your vital interests, as assessed on the basis of family, partner, working, economic, social and other ties that indicate that there are close and lasting connections between you and the address at which you live.
1. As a foreign national, you can only register your permanent residence if you have been granted apermanent residence permit or a certificate of registration of permanent residence.
You must register your place of permanent residence within 8 days of the day you settle at the address at which you permanently reside.
2. If you obtained a permanent residence permit after settling at the address, register your permanent residence within 8 days of the receipt of your permanent residence permit at the administrative unit covering the territory of your residence.