Learn when you are entitled to unemployment benefit in Slovenia, how you can exercise the right to unemployment benefit and the deadlines to be observed.
Citizens of EU Member States, EEA and Switzerland
If you are a citizen of a European Union Member State, the European Economic Area – EEA (Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein) or a citizen of the Swiss Confederation, you are entitled to unemployment benefit in accordance with the EU legislation on coordination of social security systems.
As a foreign national, you are entitled to unemployment benefit under a social insurance agreement between Slovenia and your home country.
If there is no such agreement with your country, you can exercise your right to unemployment benefit under the same conditions as Slovenian citizens.
When are you entitled to unemployment benefit?
You will be entitled to unemployment benefit if:
- you were insured against unemployment for at least 10 months before unemployment arose in the past 24 months,
- you are younger than 30 years and you were insured before unemployment arose for at least 6 months in the past 24 months,
- unemployment insurance contributions were paid (the exception to this is persons who were included in insurance on the basis of employment, but the employer liable for payment did not pay the contributions),
- you are unemployed and your employment has not been terminated through your own will or fault and you fulfil other legal requirements and you fulfil other conditions laid down by law and
- you register with the Employment Service and you submit a request to exercise the right to unemployment benefit within 30 days of the expiry of compulsory insurance.
What are the time limits?
- You are entitled to unemployment benefit in full from the day following the termination of compulsory insurance, if you register with the Employment Service within 30 days of the termination of compulsory insurance and file an application to exercise the right to unemployment benefit.
- If you file an application after the specified time limit, your total period of receiving unemployment benefit shall be reduced by calendar days from the 31st day after the termination of insurance until the date of filing the application.
1. At the Employment Service, you will file an application for the right to unemployment benefit.
You can get the application form:
- at the local labour office or
- you can print it from the our website or
- you can send it electronically via our PoisciDelo.si portal in Slovenian language.
2. The employment contract(s) should be enclosed with the application.
If your employment has terminated for any other reason than the termination of a fixed-term employment contract (for example, due to regular or extraordinary termination, consensual termination of the employment contract, on the basis of a court judgment, etc.) you will need to complete the annex to the application form and present the appropriate evidence.
3. If during the last eight months prior to unemployment you received wage compensation due to sickness, maternity leave or disability, the application should be accompanied by an average wage stub.
Those under the age of 30 years who have been insured for at least six months, should submit a certificate for average wages received in the last five months.
The period of receiving unemployment benefit depends on the period of insurance, i.e.:
- 2 months, if you are younger than 30 years and you have been insured for at least 6 months in the past 24 months before unemployment,
- 3 months if you have been insured from 10 months to 5 years,
- 6 months if you have been insured from 5 to 15 years,
- 9 months if you have been insured from 15 to 25 years,
- 12 months if you have been insured over 25 years,
- 19 months if you are older than 53 years and you have been insured over 25 years,
- 25 months if you are older than 58 years and you have been insured over 28 years.
If the entitlement to unemployment benefit has already been used and you re-exercise it, the insurance period from which the entitlement to unemployment benefit has already been assessed and the insurance period on the basis of receiving benefit are not included in the insurance period for the assessment of new entitlement to unemployment benefit.
If you are older than 57 years or you have at least 35 years of insurance period, when re-exercising the right to benefit, the insurance period for the assessment of the right includes all the time during which you have been insured, including the period of receipt of benefit.
- In the first three months unemployment benefit is paid in the amount of 80%,
- in the following nine months in the amount of 60%,
- after the expiry of one year in the amount of 50% of the average monthly salary
you received in the period of eight months (younger than 30 years, in the period of five months) prior to termination.
The paid unemployment benefit cannot be lower than EUR 530.19 and not higher than EUR 892.50 gross.
Unemployment benefits recipients have the right to all compulsory social insurance contributions (health, pension and disability, unemployment and parental insurance) which are paid by the Employment Service of Slovenia.
Unemployment benefit will be paid by the 15th day of each month for the previous month.
If the 15th day is a Saturday, Sunday or a work-free day, then the unemployment benefit is, as a rule, paid earlier, i.e. on the 13th or 14th day of the month for the previous month.