Skip to main content

Register of the Unemployed

Conditions for entry in the register

You can register and be held on the register of the unemployed if you are fit for work, actively seeking and are willing to take up employment, and if:

  • you are not in an employment relationship;
  • you are not self-employed;
  • you are not a partner and manager at the same time in a partnership or limited company;
  • you are not both the founder and the manager in an institution;
  • you are not insured for pension and disability insurance as a farmer performing an agricultural activity;
  • you are not a pensioner;
  • you are not a pupil, apprentice, student or adult learner under the age of 26 (except for recipients of unemployment benefits).

We also check whether people meet the conditions for entry in the register of the unemployed using information we obtain from official records held by other institutions.

Where we are not able to obtain ex officio all the information required for the record-keeping you must provide the documentation requested.

Joining the register of the unemployed gives you unemployed person status. 

Citizens of EU Member States, EEA and Switzerland

If you are a citizen of a European Union Member State, the European Economic Area – EEA (Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein) or a citizen of the Swiss Confederation and you wish to register with the Slovenian Employment Service, the same conditions shall apply for registration and keeping on records as for Slovenian citizens.

Under the law, citizens of the EU Member States, of the EEA countries and Swiss nationals have the same rights and obligations as Slovenian citizens.

Non-EU citizens

If you are a national of a country that is not a member of the European Union or the European Economic Area and you are not a national of the Swiss Confederation, you must meet additional legal conditions to be entered in the register of the unemployed.

These also include basic knowledge of the Slovenian language.

Check the registration requirements ...

Where and how to register?

Register with the local employment office of your choice. It makes sense to choose the office in the area where you will be looking for a job, or the one closest to where you live.

You can apply by filling in an application form to be entered in the register of the unemployed. You can submit the application online or in person.


You can submit your application electronically at the Poišč portal.

Take advantage of online submission:

  • without a digital certificate

    Using a server signature, which requires an email address and a mobile phone number.
  • with a digital certificate

Before using the portal for the first time, please register.


In person

You can apply yourself or by proxy at the local employment office where you are registering.

You can fill in the form assisted by a staff member at the registration counter.

Alternatively, you can download it from our website, print it, fill it in, sign itby hand and bring it with you.

Registration as an unemployed person

Please attach a copy of your certificate or diploma to the application.

Do not forget your photo ID to be presented for inspection.

Additional information

Contact centre

color contrast
text size
highlighting content
zoom in

Thanks for your feedback.

Was this post helpful? Yes No, But